djmcintyre

djmcintyre_71@hotmail.com

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Contrast Essay - REVISED/REWRITTEN

We share the same parents. We had the same upbringing. We're
really not that far apart in age. All grown up now, I can't believe
that two sisters can be so different. How can two people go through
the same childhood and become such different people? My sister
and I are like night and day. We always have been.

Our characteristics and personalities are completely opposite. As
young girls, my sister was the strong, outspoken one and I was the
weak and shy one. If she believed in something that was a different
opinion of someone else, she would argue her case until the other
person gave in to her. Me, I wouldn't argue, I wouldn't fight and
certainly would never stand up for myself. It was easier for me to
let things go. Her voice was loud, while mine was soft. She grew
tall, while I remain short. She has red hair and brown eyes and
I have blond hair and blue eyes. People have always found it
hard to believe when they discovered we were sisters because
of so many differences. Cut from the same clothe, but not two
peas in a pod.

Our differences go even further than looks and personalities.
Our life choices have always been the opposite. She had a wild
side to her for many years. She loved to party. She became an
unwed mother at an early age, and never really settled down
until recently. Now she is forty, married to a wonderfully
stable man and she's the happiest I've ever seen her. My life
settled about twenty years before hers. At the age of fifteen,
shortly after the death of my oldest sister, I became a very
serious person. I got a job doing secretarial work at a mill
while still in high school. Got engaged to my high school
sweetheart at 16 years of age, graduated at 17 and married
at 18. Our first born came when I was twenty-one. I was
definitely serious and focused. I felt I had to set goals and
conquer them just in case I lived a short life like my sister.
I was too serious and finally realized this in my mid-twenties.
Ironically I was too serious and my sister was not serious
enough. Too bad we hadn't met somewhere in the middle.

Another difference between my sister and I is our career
choices. She chose a path as a nurse, helping people hands
on. I chose administration, paper work and more paper work.
She is good with blood and guts and I am good with office
work and numbers. She's tough and I'm spleeny. Night
and day, that is what we are.

So how can sisters turn out to be so different? We must
be born with qualities and trates that belong to no-one
else but ourselves. It is built into us long before the
process of living. But even though we are so different,
we have one great common bond. The bond of sisterly
love. When life becomes a struggle my sister is the first
one there to my rescue.

John-sorry about the first one. I totally misinterpreted
the format. Hopes this ones better.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home