djmcintyre

djmcintyre_71@hotmail.com

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Annotated Source List / Graf #10

"Causes of Depression-Factors Play a Role in Depression".
Google. 23 October 2007.
http://findinginnerpeace.net/depression_causes.php

Although this website gave a wide range of depression causes,
there was a section that gave more specific information pertaining
to chemical imbalances caused by certain foods. The foods are
explained to be a trigger of the imbalance that is already there.
Which is information necessary for my paper.

"Depression and Nutrition". Google. 23 October 2007.
http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/mental_health/depression.htm

This was an excellent website for gathering nutrition and
depression material. It had a lot of medical information
pertaining to this topic. But even more so, it gave me more
sites to branch out to for even more research.

Author Kathleen DesMaisons, Ph.D. "Potatoes Not Prozac".
Copyright 1998.

What an interesting book to read. It gave a lot of useful
information and answered a lot of questions that I have
had about causes and cures to not only others battles
with depression and eating issues, but hit so close to
home with my own experiences. Things really made sense
to me in a deeper way. I've always known that what I eat
has an affect on my body and moods, but learned by
reading this book why and what foods are the culprit.
I look forward to reading more about this subject and
furthering my knowledge.

GRAF #10 Research History

The task of researching for my Isearch topic of Nutrition
and Depression turned out to be informational and
challenging. I decided to research my topic in 3 different
ways. I googled the web for information and found it to
be quite helpful. I also read a book that a health professional
suggested to me for this purpose. Lastly, I conducted an
experiment on myself changing my eating and exercise
habits.

Googling the web gave me the opportunity to find several
websites to choose pertinent information for my topic.
Wording as Nutrition and Depression narrowed the
search to finding exactly what I was looking for. I was
amazed at how well some of the sites fit my need.
With time and patience, the web can be a great research
tool.

I then went to the health store and chatted with the owner
about what I was researching for a topic. We talked
about what I knew and what I wanted to have answered.
She recommended the book, "Potatoes Not Prozac" for
me to read. I really enjoyed this book. The information
in it was well researched and put together by a doctor
who had gone through her own situation. Her main goal
with this research was to help others in need. This book
was brought about by her wanting to help people dependent
with alcohol, drugs and food addictions. This is an excellent
book for anyone to read that would like to help improve there
inner health.

My third research tool was to conduct an experiment. When I
began this research project, my initial attempt was to ask my
friend who battles with depression to allow me to set her up
on an eating plan and observe any changes. Her reaction was
one that told me it wouldn't be an easy task to convince her
she needed to change her habits. I felt the battle would not
be productive and would not be able to complete the experiment.
So, I chose to take an alternate route. I have been eating clean
and exercising on a regular basis for over 6 years now. I don't
have bouts of depression and my moods don't seem to
fluctuate like they use to. So I decided to stop exercising and
eat junk for a couple of weeks and monitor my results. I found
out that it affects me more than I had ever realized. It actually
became quite serious in a very short period of time. And yes,
I hit a nasty depression and had a very hard time pulling myself
back up again. Wow. Did this experiment open my eyes even
wider. I'm even more determined to keep researching and
learning. This topic really hits home for me and someday hope
to help others who have gone through the same.

I'm well on my way, but still have quite a journey before I have
completed this project. I feel I have gathered pertinent information
necessary for me to ask and asnwer the questions I have about
nutrition and its effects and causes of depression. I look forward
to the end result.

1 Comments:

  • At November 25, 2007 at 9:25 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

    The annotations are fine.

    The other material is really your Search section, but the assignment actually asks for something else: a glimpse of your non-school research history.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home