djmcintyre

djmcintyre_71@hotmail.com

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Process Essay

It was the middle of Spring. The air felt new. The sun
was warm on my face. Winter had finally passed.
The ground was awakening from a long winters nap.
Trees began to stretch and the grass began to peak
through the soil. I found myself standing in my yard
staring at the empty flower beds, trying to decide
how to make it beautiful this year. My plan of attack
is the same each year. First, I clean up the mess from
the previous year. Secondly, a decision to expand the
flower beds or keep them the same as last year has to
be made. Third and final decision, is what flowers
will I be planting.

My first step, cleaning up the yard and flower beds
is my least favorite of the process. Pulling left over
weeds, raking the yard and preparing the soil takes
a bit of time. I suppose it's my least favorite only
because I am so anxious to get started with the new.

Second step of the process is my decision to keep the
scene the same or do I change things around this
year. Most of the time I add to what I already have.
When I decide to expand, my job consists of drawing
what I have in mind. Calculating what and how
much materials will be needed. Gathering or buying
what I have come up with for materials and
putting it all into place.

Once the beds are clean and prepared, my third and
final step is to decide what type of flowers are going
to go into which bed. My hanging pots are usually
quite easy to choose. I always choose an annual that
climbs. My beds that sit on the ground, I carefully
choose size, color and arrangement of how they will
fit together. On the outside of the beds I have space
for perennial flowers and bushes. Each year I try to
add a new perennial. Once all the decisions are made
and I've purchased what I need, I get to work and
start planting.

It's a great deal of work to do this each year. The bugs
are thick. The sun is hot. I'm so sweaty that the dirt
sticks to my skin, and my nails are blackened. But
each year I look forward to the whole process. The
end result is breathe-taking, beautiful and colorful
new life that I've helped get started and nurtured
along it's journey. I love to watch them grow and
blossom throughout the summer. The final outcome
is worth all the hard work and effort put into the
process of gardening.

1 Comments:

  • At October 30, 2007 at 10:04 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

    This works, and the last graf is particularly fine. We're about as far from gardening as we can possibly be right now.... Though I still have beets, carrots, and cabbage to get in!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home