djmcintyre

djmcintyre_71@hotmail.com

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cause Essay/Take two!

I was sitting at my computer for an hour not coming up with
anything for a topic. All that kept running through my head
was how much I have failed my children lately. I don't want
to be one of those parents who gets too wrapped up in their
own lives and lets their children slide through life on their
own without guidance or someone who cares what the hell is
going on. Right now my concern is how my crazy life is affecting
my family. I do my best to help with homework but haven't been
on top of it like I should be. I barely have time to clean or cook
meals anymore. I can't remember the last time I went to the grocery
store. My poor husband has been completely neglected, but will
survive. I need to weed out the non-important responsibilities
that I have taken on. Lately all I have thought about is how
I don't like the direction my life is headed. The only way to fix
it is to reflect on what is really important to me and make
the changes necessary in order to achieve my goals.

The first change that needs to be made is how many hours a
week I put into a job. I have decided that if I find something
for 20 hours a week instead of 50-55, it will free up a lot of time
that I could give to my family.

The second change I need to make is learning how to say no.
My husband and I belong to too many groups and
organizations. We're the ones everyone turns to several times
a week to volunteer our time. We hardly ever say no. On
average we give between 5-10 hours a week of our time. We
love to volunteer, but need to shorten the time we give.

The third change I feel I need to make, is taking on too many
classes each semester. I'm anxious to get through college, but
need to realize that a couple classes at a time would be more
realistic with the responsibilities that I have. This was a
tough decision for me to make. Selfishly I want to put all
the time I can into my education, but in fairness to my
family I need to do it at a slower pace.

So now that I have reflected on changes that need to be made
I need to make sure these changes are put into action. I feel
these changes are very important in order for me to be the
kind of Mom and Wife I know I can be.

5 Comments:

  • At September 30, 2007 at 11:24 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

    Hey deb--you've got the material right in here for a stronger intro than the one you used--and also a clearer description of what you want to do in the paper.

     
  • At September 30, 2007 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Deb McIntyre said...

    John,

    Hope this one is better.
    I think I should have started on a fresh post-but edited instead...I didn't think it through before I hit submit...sorry.

     
  • At September 30, 2007 at 4:15 PM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

    Take a deep breath. Forget this assignment for two whole days.

    I'm afraid that if I give you comments now, you won't wait those two days. Can you handle comments w/o immediately doing anything about them?

     
  • At September 30, 2007 at 6:35 PM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

    Take a look at the support grafs--what you're writing about is so present and real to you that it must be hard to remember that your readers do not know a thing.

    YOu have a 55 hour a week job? Doing what? Fun hours? Remunerative hours? Convenient hours?

    YOu belong to organizations? Political parties, religious, civic improvement groups? Snowmobile clubs? Last project? Blod drive, community barbecue, walkathon?

    How many classes? Which is hardest (don't even dream of saying ENG 101!), long commute, difficult teachers?

    So, gonna make some changes--what? What's likely to happen afterwards?

     
  • At October 3, 2007 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Deb McIntyre said...

    I started fresh with a new subject...if I can't stand to listen to my complaining why would a reader want to hear it....
    I'm over myself!

    I posted it as Cause Essay - New

    Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home