djmcintyre

djmcintyre_71@hotmail.com

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Graf #7

My Person

Twenty years ago, he scared me to death. He was stern,
didn't speak much and hardly ever smiled. I was quiet and shy
and worried about him accepting me. Would I ever be
comfortable going to his house? Would we ever have the
chance to really get to know each other? I had hoped so,
for some day I was to marry his son.

My father-in-law is not as complicated as people make him
out to be. When I first met him I learned in his house, things
are his way... Accept this concept, and life is good. He was
teaching us respect. He had order to all of his tools. His garage
was neat and organized. If you borrowed something, it better
be put back exactly how you found it. His respect had to be
earned. Once you earned it, you never had such a good friend.
He owned his own Body Shop business and is now retired.
I loved to watch him work. He was so meticulous with
everything he fixed. If it wasn't good enough, he started again.
His painting was more like a form of artwork. His attention to
detail was amazing. Still is with everything he does.

My father-in-law fascinates me. He is so full of knowledge,
has a passion for life and a soft-sentimental side that not
many know about. He and I share a love for piano music.
He goes four-wheeling with my husband, me and our 3 kids.
We watch sunsets together out at his camp on the lake and
toast marshmallows and hot dogs by the fire. I love to give
him hugs and tell him I love him...he always says he loves
me back. We cherish every minute we have with my in-laws.

I watched my father-in-law drive up to the football field
in the rain today. He came to watch my youngest play. He
walked to the field with a limp because of a bad knee that
gives him great pain. He shared his umbrella with me and
refused to take a seat. He watched with pride, in the rain,
in pain, because he loves his family more than anyone
could imagine. I only hope he knows how much he means
to me, after twenty years of really getting to know how
special he is.

Never judge a book by it's cover! You'll be amazed
to find what might be inside.....




1 Comments:

  • At September 16, 2007 at 9:55 AM , Blogger johngoldfine said...

    Gee, this is awfully nice. That image of the man refusing to sit down, standing in pain, in rain, to watch his grandchild's game--that sticks with the reader. Would he be appalled to know you'd written about him?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home